Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Ep. 52: Metaphysical Zoological Hallucinations


Hi! My name is Terry J. Aman and this installment marks my 52nd episode of "VideoFuzzy," my twice-monthly progress report on cataloging more than 2,800 VHS transfers and digital recordings. In this installment, titled "Metaphysical Zoological Hallucinations," (following some spoiler-y corrections on "Claws"), I highlight a half-dozen episodes from Aaron Sorkin's "The West Wing," archived from a fan-voted top ten episode Labor Day 2004 marathon on Bravo as part of the series' syndication on that channel.

In Cross Connections, I trace "Studio Six Feet Under" connections from a collection of movies that aired on FXM Retro and which I pull up for comment under "VideoFuzzy at the Movies," including "Journey to the Center of the Earth," "Wizards," "The Man Who Wouldn't Die," "23 Paces to Baker Street," "Quintet," "11 Harrowhouse," "Mister 880," "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" and "The Third Secret," highlighting Ed Begley Jr's multiple appearances throughout my collection, as well as appearances by Laurie Metcalf, Jason Manzoukis, Mark A. Sheppard and Barry Corbin.

In my Classic VHS-to-DVD Collection, I talk about a few "West Wing" episodes I tracked down in my back catalog in preparing for my feature commentary, archive recordings of speeches by Joe Biden and Barack Obama at the 2008 Democratic National Convention, including an unfortunate camera mishap involving a streamer cannon. Also, comments on Monty Python's Flying Circus royal episode, Monk prop issues and Simpsons meme synchronicity.

In my direct-to-DVD Current Collection, comments on the series finale of "Legion," as well as "Preacher," "Pose," "Pearson," "Archer 1999" and I listed out the menagerie they pulled in for a fun little [adult swim] bumper headed "Metaphysical Zoological Hallucinations," including the Motaur by Progressive, Gritty the hockey mascot, a cutie cthulie (an octupus) and a platypus, which they caption a "weirdo duck." Fun!

In VideoFuzzy at the Movies, I highlight Bravo's presentation of "La La Land," comments on the FXM Retro movies I listed up there under Cross Connections, and a comment on the late Peter Fonda. Finally, in Upcoming Shows, Comedy Central is airing third season episodes of "BoJack Horseman." Enjoy!


VideoFuzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment