Sunday, August 4, 2019

Ep. 51: A Night in SubUrbia


Hi! My name is Terry J. Aman and this installment marks my 51st episode of "VideoFuzzy," my twice-monthly progress report on cataloging more than 2,800 VHS transfers and digital recordings. In this installment, titled "A Night in SubUrbia," for my Friday Night Feature I talk about a comic British teen drama that turned up on disc 711 in my Classic Collection called "Skins," the show's second-ever episode, centered on Cassie, a teen girl with an eating disorder.

In Cross Connections, I trace "Studio Six Feet Under" connections from "Skins" through "Game of Thrones" and "Dark Phoenix," Colin Farrell to a Capitol Shakespeare production I got to and "Parks and Rec" to "Superstore," "The Simpsons," "Brockmire" and 2020 presidential campaign efforts.

In "Into the Vaults," I watch a commercial VHS copy of "SubUrbia" that's been sitting unwatched in my media collection since about 2010, highlighting heretofore unexplored portions of my media collection.

In my Classic VHS-to-DVD Collection, I encountered "Battlestar Galactica's" pilot episode, noting the absence of the beautiful Sanskrit chant in the opening sequence for that one, highlighting similarities between my discovery of this series and my discovery of the 2002 Labor Day FOX marathon presentation of "24." Finding that episode gave me hope I'll find the pilot episodes of "The Middleman" and "Commander in Chief." Also, comments on "Psych," "Criminal Minds" and the "Raisin Brahms" Americans for the Arts promo.

In VideoFuzzy at the Movies, comments on Kids in the Hall "Brain Candy," "A Night at the Roxbury," "Napoleon Dynamite," John Waters' 2007 production of "Hairspray," "Bee Movie," "The Full Monty," "Solace," "The Girl on the Train" and "Gone Girl."

In my direct-to-DVD Current Collection, I've archived and cataloged all seven seasons of "Parks and Rec," noting the frustrating absence of the Funniest Line Ever Delivered in a Situation Comedy. Also, comments on "Pearson," "Archer: 1999," "Pose," "Claws," "Legion," "Psych" and "Full Frontal," featuring Samantha Bee and her Wacky Lists of Things! In Nerd Shows, I dedicated a disc to three two-hour PBS presentations of Roger Smith's "American Experience: Chasing the Moon," that production timed to observe the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Mission.

In What I've Been Watching, I took in Capitol Shakespeare's production of "The Winter's Tale," and in Upcoming Shows, looking forward to "Preacher" and this fall's season of Bravo's "Project Runway" remix featuring Christian Siriano. Enjoy!


VideoFuzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment