Saturday, December 15, 2018

Ep. 39: A Million Little References


Hi! My name is Terry J. Aman and this installment marks my 39th episode of "VideoFuzzy," my twice-monthly progress report on cataloging more than 2,700 VHS transfers and digital recordings. In this installment, titled "A Million Little References," I talked about a musical stage production of "A Christmas Story" we got to that they're running for another week at the FMCT -- go see that if you can, they do a fantastic job.

For my Friday Night Feature, I talked about a fourth season episode of "Doctor Who" called "The Fires of Pompeii" that I really enjoyed. It feels like most of the time when I talk about "Doctor Who" I'm complaining about this or that, so I wanted to just revel in the positives, not least of which this preunion of David Tennant, Catherine Tate and Peter Capaldi as 2-1/2 Doctors, along with a pre-Pond appearance by Karen Gillan as a soothsayer -- outstanding!

In my Classic Collection, along with a bunch of the usual, I discovered episodes of "Terminal City," a strong if unfortunately interrupted performance by George Michael in the first season finale of "Eli Stone," the BBC America counterterrorism production of "MI-5," several first season episodes of "The Sarah Jane Adventures" on Syfy, as well as Syfy's presentation of the 1995 "Ghost in the Shell" Puppet Master anime.

In my Current Collection, I managed to completely empty out my DVR and catalog most of my current collection, up to disc X202. I watched my season 5 pileup of AMC's 10th year anniversary reairing of "Breaking Bad," which figured heavily in the backlog. Unfortunately, this interfered a lot with progress on my Classic Collection, contributing to the lateness of this installment.

Along with "Breaking Bad," I archived episodes on either side of midterm elections from Samantha Bee's "Full Frontal" and "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" I'll have to go back and catalog properly. I also brought in episodes from season 1 of Netflix original "BoJack Horseman" as rebroadcast on Comedy Central, as well as episodes of "The Good Place," "Superstore" and that ABC production of "A Million Little Things" my friend Jesse Zimmerman talked to me about in Episode 38 and which I was only able to watch three or four episodes of that, but maybe ABC will put the whole thing back on demand at some point. Speaking of missing episodes, I couldn't find the "Doctor Who" season 11 episode "Kerblam!" anywhere, but I think they're planning a marathon from the current season in the run-up to the Christmas episode so ... keeping an eye out. And in other Nerd Shows, comments on "Hacking the Universe" and "How the Universe Works."

Finally, in What I've Been Watching, Ralph and I got over to watch "Ralph Breaks the Internet," which was awesome. Be sure to stay to the end for the preview of "Frozen 2"!


VideoFuzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment