Saturday, September 1, 2018

Ep. 33: Reporting Alternative Facts


Hi! My name is Terry J. Aman and this installment marks my 33rd episode of "VideoFuzzy," my twice-monthly progress report on cataloging more than 2,700 VHS transfers and digital recordings. In this installment, titled "Reporting Alternative Facts," my Friday Night Feature looks at tabloid journalism aboard the "Battlestar Galactica" and traces one or two reference points to stuff going on today.

In my classic VHS-to-DVD collection, I explored "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone's take on the 2008 writers' strike in "Canada on Strike," pulling in some comments from "Commentary!" the musical backstory released as part of "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog." I also talk about some stuff that's been going on with my music library, which has taken some attention away from this project in recent weeks, as well as some news that led me to strip any potentially copyrighted images out of my Facebook page.

Heading into my current direct-to-DVD recordings, I talked about significantly stepped-up storylines in "Preacher" and "Better Call Saul" and the season finales of "Claws" and "Trial & Error." "The Sinner" got a bit dark, "We Bare Bears" closed out a lackluster season, I'm nearly down to the series finale on "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency," I made some progress on my "Supernatural" season 13 backlog (I caught up to the "Scoobynatural" episode) and enjoyed the most wonderful cast parody spoof of "Ghostbusters" by Hillywood here.

I watched a few NERD SHOWS science updates in "How the Universe Works" and "Space's Deepest Secrets," exploring the Juno mission to Jupiter, the Cassini mission to Saturn, the history of the solar system, monster stars, quasars, black holes and the Big Bang. I also encountered a quite remarkable artist recently, Tim Blais, who crafts frankly brilliant science-themed music parodies and original pieces you can discover for yourself here, which are also available on iTunes.

And I had to ding "Late Show" host Stephen Colbert for throwing Omarosa's book "Unhinged" into the bargain bin -- the 30 percent off initial release is a marketing strategy, not any kind of reflection of sales, and he knows this. Upon its release, "Unhinged" topped the New York Times bestseller list. It's doing just fine.

Finally, Spotify has added VideoFuzzy! But weirdly enough, right now it is only searchable under my name, so you can search for that under Terry J. Aman. Enjoy!


VideoFuzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment